Car catches alight, Dubbo man suffers burns, in a serious condition

A driver is in a serious condition in a Sydney hospital after his vehicle caught alight at Dubbo on Sunday.

The 43-year-old local man suffered burns to his face and hands.

He was airlifted to Sydney from Dubbo Hospital.

The fire spread to a tree and surrounding grass and had to be extinguished.

Emergency services were called to Cobbora Road near the Merrilea Road turnoff about 11.15am on Sunday.

Inspector Mark Fehon said the driver and sole occupant had been travelling in a 1998 four-wheel-drive when it caught alight through the dashboard area.

“He has got out, suffering burns to his face and hands,” he said.

The man was taken by ambulance to Dubbo Hospital.

“Due to his burns he was then airlifted to Concord Hospital. His condition is serious,” Inspector Fehon said.

Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) station officer Simon Bracht said the fire set a large gum tree and nearby grass alight. 

Crews were on scene for a few hours until the tree could be lopped to completely extinguish the fire, he said.