‘Lucky escape’ for Tamworth Street home

A Tamworth Street home was lucky to escape with only minor structural damage when a fire broke out in the kitchen on Friday afternoon.

Fire and Rescue NSW crews were in nearby Macquarie Street when they were called to the blaze, their fast response time saving the house from serious damage. No one was home at the time.

“It was the old story, someone had put something on the stove and forgotten about it,” Dubbo station commander Mark Weir said.

“It got into the kitchen roof and a small amount extended to the roof cavity of the main structure. They were lucky … I would call it medium smoke alarm.”

He said the incident served as a timely reminder.

“There were no smoke alarms in this house so it’s vital to keep looking when cooking, and make sure you have a working smoke alarm.”

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop