Dubbo man convicted for assault, intimidation

A Dubbo man who assaulted and threatened his former partner’s new love has been convicted and ordered to enter into lengthy good behaviour bonds.

Michael Richard James, 43, pushed the victim, with whom he had previously worked, and told him to “watch your back”, before sending threatening text messages.

He faced Dubbo Local Court on Wednesday and pleaded guilty to common assault, intimidation and using a mobile phone to menace, harass or offend.

A strictly indictable charge of enter dwelling with intent to commit a serious indictable offence was withdrawn by the Crown, so the matter remained in the Local Court.

Magistrate Paul Hayes told James his behaviour was “entirely unacceptable” as he convicted him and ordered him to enter into 18-month good behaviour bonds for the assault and intimidation offences.

James was also fined $300 for using a carriage service to menace, harass or offend.

The offender and a woman had been in a relationship that ended early in 2016, court documents show.

The woman started a new relationship with the male victim, the documents show.

James and the male victim had previously worked together.

James turned up at the woman’s house on the evening of December 26 and began to ask her questions about the vehicle parked outside.

During the incident the offender took hold of the victim’s shirt and pushed him, ripping the victim’s shirt.

He left the premises saying: “Watch your back, you never know when it’s going to come.”

He also noted the victim’s registration, saying it was so he knew which car to target.

About 3.30am on December 27 the victim received two threatening text messages from the offender.

James also knocked on the victim’s door at 6.40am.

A solicitor for the man said his client had been drinking on the evening in question.

He submitted the level of violence was low.

Mr Hayes said there was a need for both personal and general deterrence.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop