Approximately 400 residents have signed a petition from the Dubbo Residents and Ratepayers Association calling for a delay on a vote for a third bin in the city.
Volunteers have been out at South Dubbo IGA in recent days collecting signatures.
“We had 100 signatures on Saturday and 200 on Thursday. It’s amazing how many people are coming up wanting to sign it,” volunteer Vicki Mackay said.
“We’ve had no problems at all getting people to sign it. Of all the people we talked to, there were probably about four that said they wanted it,” Ms Mackay said.
“We don’t want it but we’re being told we do want it. That’s why we think it should be voted on by a democratically elected council.”
Ms Mackay said elderly residents said were opposed because they didn’t want another bin to have to put out, and wouldn’t have any use for it.
She said others were opposed because of the reduction to fortnightly collection for general waste.
“A lot of people are saying they already compost or have a worm farm so the new bin isn’t needed for them,” Ms Mackay said.
“And families with nappies are going to hate it in summer. And even if your house doesn’t dirty nappies, your neighbour might.”
Dubbo Regional Council administrator Michael Kneipp had previously said council had to make a decision before July 2017 to meet deadlines for a $4.1 million grant for a proposed organic waste plant.
Construction has to start by September 2018 to meet the grant conditions.
However Ms Mackay said she believed another extension would be possible but said because of the unpopularity of the third bin, the proposal should be turned down and the grant returned.