Lotto winner claims $1.3m prize

Mystery solved: Talbragar Street Newsagency owner Peter Snare checks tickets in the days before Dubbo's newest millionaire claimed his prize. Photo: FAYE WHEELER

Mystery solved: Talbragar Street Newsagency owner Peter Snare checks tickets in the days before Dubbo's newest millionaire claimed his prize. Photo: FAYE WHEELER

Dubbo’s newest millionaire has been found after almost a week and he’s a local man with heart who has pledged to help his family and make a donation to charity.

The man was one of three division one winners from the Saturday Lotto draw on March 11, landing a prize of $1,376,411.74.

His winning ticket was purchased at Talbragar Street Newsagency at Dubbo.

The shocked retiree only discovered he was Dubbo’s missing winner on Friday morning, when he checked his ticket at Talbragar Street Newsagency.

“It’s the greatest shock of my life. I’m getting more nervous now as it’s sinking in." - Dubbo's newest millionaire

“Thank you very much,” he said.

“I checked my other Lotto tickets on Sunday, but didn’t check this one. I’ve just had it my wallet.

“I came in this morning and Peter, the newsagency owner, asked me if I had an unregistered ticket from Saturday.

“I said ‘yeah’ and he said to check it.

“It’s the greatest shock of my life.

“I’m getting more nervous now as it’s sinking in.”

The regular Lotto player admitted he’d seen media coverage of Dubbo’s missing millionaire, but didn’t think for a moment that it could be him.

“I saw there was winner, but didn’t think it was me. I’m not that lucky,” he said.

“I’ve only ever won $80 in the past.”

The man, who wishes to remain anonymous, said he would use his winnings to help his family.

“They’ve all got debts so they’ll be a lot better off because of it,” he said.

“Education for the grandkids is a big thing too.”

He also pledged to make a donation to the Australian Heart Foundation, a charity he had long supported.

Talbragar Street Newsagency owner Peter Snare said he was thrilled the winner had been found.

“It’s been a busy week as we’ve had so many people come in and call up wanting to see if they might have won the million-dollar prize,” he said.

“It’s great that it is a local customer and we wish him all the best with his prize.”

Mr Snare reported earlier in the week the big win was the 40th from a ticket sold by Talbragar Street Newagency in 33 years, and all previous winners had been local.

The Lotto win had generated a buzz in the city since it was revealed earlier in the week.

Daily Liberal readers took to social media to express happiness for the winner after learning he had come forward on Friday. 

“That’s awesome, good on him,” Karen Cooper said in a post to Facebook.

Many others felt the same way.

“Good to see it went to someone who needed it,” Narelle Grant said in a Facebook post.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop