With temperatures increasing across NSW in the coming months pet owners are being reminded to keep vigilant against fleas and ticks.
Dubbo veterinarian Mark Carter said there were a range of insects pet owners needed to look out for.
“In our area the things to look for were fleas, mosquitoes as they can carry heart-worm and the potential parvo virus,” he said.
Dr Carter said there had been reported cases of fleas.
“We’re certainly seeing early flea infestation,” he said.
Pet owners are urged to use effective flea prevention products on the market and consult with their local veterinarian for advice.
Dr Carter said irritation was the main cause of fleas, resulting in dogs scratching and dogs even developing flea allergy dermatitis.
“The animal becomes allergic to flea bites and so develops a terrible allergic reaction,” Mr Carter said.
Getting advice from your veterinarian would help to relieve the animals symptoms and find a potential treatment, Dr Carter said.
Dr Rachel Chay, Chief Veterinarian at Greencross Vets also stressed the importance of Dubbo pet owners to be proactive in tick treatment for their pets to ensure they are protected.
“The best way to protect your pet from ticks is through prevention. It’s important that pet owners search their pet’s coat daily, especially after long walks or when your pet has been exposed to bushland or long grass,” said Dr Chay.
“Symptoms to look out for include loss of coordination in the hind legs or not being able to stand up; vomiting; loss of appetite; lethargy; difficulty or rapid breathing; change in bark or meow and excessive salivation.”
Local Petbarn Dubbo store manager Thomas Adams encourages pet parents to stock up on tick treatments this spring season.
“Regularly using tick prevention products will not only be less costly than treating tick bites for pet owners, but could potentially save your pets life,” he said.
On average, Greencross Vets across the country note 20 - 100 cases of tick paralysis each month, increasing to 500 cases per month in the warmer months.
The three most common ticks found in NSW include the brown dog tick, the bush tick and the paralysis tick whose toxin attacks the nervous system and one bite from can potentially result in the death of your pet.