A 27-YEAR-OLD man is dead after a home-made bomb exploded in a West Dubbo park.
Orana Local Area Command Duty Officer Inspector Scott Tanner said emergency services converged on Pioneer Park about 2.45am on Thursday following reports a man had been injured in the explosion.
"We can confirm it was a home-made pipe bomb that exploded," Inspector Tanner said.
He said after the explosion, the injured man crossed the road and sought help from the occupants of a nearby house.
Paramedics arrived shortly afterwards and attempted to treat the man but he died at the scene.
There were no other injuries. A report would be prepared for the coroner.
Inquiries were continuing, Inspector Tanner said, but there did not appear to be any suspicious circumstances.
"Early indications are that it's misadventure... we're just appealing for witnesses to contact police if they did see or hear anything," Inspector Tanner said.
Forensic officers spent most of Thursday combing the taped off park, and a line search was carried out to gather evidence.
Explosives experts were also called in to help with the investigation.
Inspector Tanner said there was nothing to suggest the incident was linked to a spate of crime and anti-social behaviour in the area in recent weeks.
Police have not officially released the name of the deceased Dubbo man, however friends paid tribute to him via social media.
"R.I.P Gavin Melville. The sweetest and most passionate guy I've ever met. A true honey xxx my thought (sic) are with you..." wrote one.
Another wrote: " ... he was like a brother to me ...".
"He sure is going to be greatly missed R.I.P Gav," wrote another.
Inspector Tanner said the tragic incident was a warning for anyone curious about explosive devices.
"This is an example of what can go very, very wrong, there are people who have now lost a family member and a friend," he said.