Congregation marks centenary of church

Sunday morning saw a large crowd celebrate the centenary of St Peters in the Pines at Cumborah.

The service was held outside on a wonderful sunny morning.

Morning tea was served and then lunch cooked and served by Lightning Ridge Rotary members.

St Peter’s in the Pines was consecrated July 18, 1912 and the church established by the Brotherhood of the Good Shepherd, better known as the Bush Brothers, an English Anglo-Catholic discipline.

The Bush Brothers brought the word of God to the community of Cumborah.

In 1910 a church was planned approved by the Bishop, and the church started its life as part of the Bathurst Diocese and later joined the diocese of Armidale.

The community held a church social and called for subscriptions of 30 pounds to finance the building and the furniture.

In 1912 the Bishop consecrated the church to St Peter.

The church became a part of the Lightning Ridge parish in 2006.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide