Man refuses assistance to face Dubbo Local Court

A man in custody who was 'sick and tired of insinuations' refused assistance from the Aboriginal Legal Service (ALS) before appearing in Dubbo Local Court last week.

Shane Anthony Kilby, also known as Shane Cotter, entered the dock in handcuffs appearing for himself.

Magistrate Andrew Eckhold asked Kilby if he had seen the police account of events from February 16 when he allegedly breached an apprehended violence order.

The facts were then handed to Kilby, 44.

"You're in the dock reading papers, why aren't the ALS with you?" Magistrate Eckhold asked.

"These questions, I'm so confused about them," Kirby said.

"No one's making sense."

The magistrate continued to ask Kilby why he was not legally represented.

"No, no way," Kilby said.

"I need a damn cigarette... I've been reporting (to police) every day."

Kilby returned to reading the papers as the magistrate also looked over information.

Magistrate Eckhold again suggested to Kilby he have legal representation after the court heard the man had recently served two years' imprisonment for assault occassioning bodily harm.

The magistrate asked court staff if a mental health nurse was available.

Kilby insisted he had done nothing to be charged for a breach of the apprehended violence order.

"He's approached me three times in the street... no one else knows where I stand, just you. Just me and you," he said.

"I don't say anything to anyone in Dubbo.

"I'm doing the right thing... it's driving me mad, someone do something, it's driving me mad."

In frustration, Kilby turned to family members present in the gallery before being led out of the courtroom by corrective service officers close to tears.

Magistrate Eckhold adjourned the matter to the next day to see if Kilby would accept legal assistance.

On reappearing, Kilby was represented by Legal Aid and granted bail.

He will reappear for a hearing on March 21 in relation to other matters.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide