Fuller leads Macquarie comeback

A HAT-TRICK to Jon Fuller has highlighted a stunning comeback by Macquarie late on the first day of their Whitney Cup clash with Newtown at No.2 Oval.

Fuller achieved the feat in his first over, snaring the wickets of Kel Blackett, Ben Patterson and Craig Pettit as the Blues assumed control of the match in a brilliant 15-over period.

Courtesy of a brilliant Wayne Dunlop century Newtown cruised early and at one stage were 2/135 when captain Steve Skinner departed for 35 in the 42nd over of play.

Despite losing further wickets the Tigers progressed to 5/188 at the end of 59 overs before Fuller was thrown the ball with immediate results.

With his second ball he trapped Blackett leg before for a duck before bowling Patterson with his next delivery.

That brought Pettit to the crease but he couldn't handle the pressure, with Fuller again rattling the timber to send his team into hysterics out on the field.

Marty Jeffrey came to the crease and while he didn't score he did hang around with Dunlop long enough to see the opener through his his century.

Both fell to Dan Medway late in the innings, with Dunlop the last man out for a well-made 109 as Newtown capitulated to be all out for 201.

Fuller finished with figures of 3/7 from five overs while Medway also bowled well and was rewarded with 4/42 from 14 overs.

Former NSW Country quick Declan Hoare also showed some of his old form, taking 2/49.

It was an amazing scorecard as Dunlop, Skinner and opener Tetaan Henning (33) dominated before the remaining eight players all finished with single-figure scores.

The bottom five batsmen each recorded ducks while number 11 Nathan Merchant finished unbeaten on zero.

Medway and Jacob Harvey then took to the crease with the task of seeing off the last seven overs of the day, which they managed to do without too much drama as Macquarie finished the day 0/17.

When play resumes this Saturday, Medway will be on nine while Harvey will be on seven.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide