Alarming results from Operation Safe Arrival

OPERATION Safe Arrival has delivered some alarming results both within the Orana region and statewide.

In Dubbo a number of infringements were given for a range of offences including seven people found not wearing seatbelts, 100 speeding offences and 81 penalties for a variety of other unspecified offences.

Orana motorists also took part in about 2650 random breath tests during Operation Safe Arrival, with final figures on drink driving offences as yet unavailable.

Overall the western region delivered 39, 781 breath tests, 76 PCA offences, 106 seatbelt infringements, 1207 speeding infringements and 1054 unspecified infringements.

Across the state, senior police are alarmed by the increased number of drink-drivers detected on NSW's roads during the Christmas holiday period.

Operation Safe Arrival started on Friday, December 21, and finished at midnight on Friday, January 4.

During the fifteen-day operation double demerits were in place for speeding and restraint offences while police also targeted drink-driving and irresponsible driver behaviour.

Police conducted a total of 527,174 breath tests which was up 16,134 compared to last year.

Those tests resulted in 992 people being charged for PCA, up by 98.

There were 15 fatal crashes on NSW's roads resulting in the deaths of 17 people, while police responded to 1,995 major crashes which resulted in 654 people being injured.

During Operation Safe Arrival 15,452 traffic infringement notices were issued for general offences compared to 17,663 last year. Police also issued 11,903 infringements for speeding offences which was down compared to 12,629 last year.

Seatbelt offences were down 137 compared to last year with police issuing 1,194 infringements notices.

Commander of Traffic Services, Assistant Commissioner John Hartley, said Operation Safe Arrival had seen some mixed results with most offences down compared to last year.

"Sadly more than one person a day was killed on NSW's roads during this holiday period and while the 17 deaths was two lower than compared to last year this is still far too many," he said.

"A review of all the crashes has shown that most were as a result of drivers disobeying the law or making a mistake which has proved fatal.

"What was also concerning was the increase in people caught drink-driving.

"Nearly 100 more people were caught this year showing a blatant disregard to the road rules, their safety and the safety of other motorists.

"This is still a busy time on our roads with summertime and school holidays in full swing and while Operation Safe Arrival has now concluded I can assure you that police will continue to target irresponsible drivers, speeding, drink-driving and seatbelt offences," Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop