Flags stand at half mast in memory of fallen children

AS THE burial of victims from the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting continues an American flag flies at half-mast in Dubbo as a sign of respect for the lives the terrible tragedy has touched.

Proud Aussies Geoffrey Smith and Barbara Przerada decided to take down the Australian flag on their property and put an American flag in its place until the victims of the shooting had been laid to rest.

Mr Smith said he changed the flag at his property when he found out about the Friday morning (Eastern Standard Time) shooting.

"I have great respect for the American flag and people," he said.

"I am a great believer that without the Americans in WWII we would not have the luxury of this great country."

"A lot of young people wouldn't know how many American lives have been lost in the south Pacific for our country."

Ms Przerada said images and interviews with a father who had lost his little girl in the shooting had made her cry.

"It will never be the same again for the people who lost their children," she said.

"It is 20 young lives that were taken just like that."

Mr Smith believes shooting incidents are on the rise around the world, not just in America.

Violent material in video games, magazines, on the TV and internet were blamed by Mr Smith as catalysts to tragic events such as the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting.

"The shooting will lead to reform but there will still be access to guns," he said.

"Guns don't kill people, certain types of undesirables do."

Ms Przerada believes a shooting will happen in Australia.

“It is going to happen here it is just a matter of time,” she said.

The first funerals for the victim of the shooting that claimed 28 lives, including 20 children aged 6 to 7-years-old, began on Monday in Newtown, Connecticut, three days after the event.

On Monday Noah Pozner, the youngest victim of the shooting at 6-years-two months, was one of the first victims to be buried after the tragedy.

The funeral of Jack Pinto, another six-year-old victim of the shooting, was also held on Monday. 

Six staff members of Sandy Hook Elementary died trying to protect their pupils.

Nancy Lanza was shot dead by her 20-year-old son Adam before he drove to the school and gunned down 26 people then turned the weapon on himself.

megan.taylor@fairfaxmedia.com.au

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop