Relay strides across $500,000 milestone

A REVISED total of $66,000 raised for the Cancer Council NSW has been announced following the Dubbo and District Relay For Life held earlier this year.

The provisional sum of $53,000 announced following the September 22 and 23 event had since grown by $13,000 as pledges were banked, according to Cancer Council NSW Dubbo and District Relay For Life Co-ordinator Camilla Barlow.

"With the funds that have been banked this year we have reached another significant milestone - Dubbo and District Relay For Life has now raised over $500,000 in six years," she said.

She said the event showed "the generosity of the people of Dubbo and district and their family, friends and colleagues across NSW that have supported them".

Relay For Life is a major fundraiser that helps the Cancer Council NSW in its efforts to raise cancer awareness and provide support to patients and their families and friends. It involved teams gathering sponsors and then walking laps of Victoria Park No.1 Oval over an 18-hour period.

The 2012 relay saw the event's name change from Dubbo Relay For Life to Dubbo and District Relay For Life to make the event more inclusive for surrounding villages and towns.

The event's 10th anniversary also saw the introduction of the Dubbo-based relay on an annual basis, a change from years past when it was held every two years.

There were 44 teams and more than 550 participants in the 2012 relay.

Meanwhile organisers have claimed the date early for next year's Dubbo and District Relay For Life, announcing it will be held at Victoria Park No.1 Oval on September 21 and 22, 2013.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop